Saturday, May 10, 2008

Alkmeya: " a secret to discover".

ALKEMYA: " a secret to discover".

Issayas Tesfamariam





I was introduced to Alkemya two years ago in a peculiar way. In 2006 in the lobby of the Britsol Hotel in downtown Asmara, I was waiting for a friend and I noticed a very beautiful calendar on the wall. Even though the calendar was a year old at the time, the colors, the photography,etc. like a magnet pulled my eyes. I thought it was a calendar produced by one of the major western outlet stores or a fashion company. To my total surprise, I was told that it was produced by Alkemya, a company owned and almost entirely staffed by women in Asmara. The daughter of the owner of Bristol Hotel informed me that Alkemya is located right in front of the hotel. And she introduced me to Nadia Biasiolo, the owner of Alkemya. Alkemya's motto is "a secret to discover". Once I was introduced to Nadia, Tedros, Fresewra and all the dedicated young women (whose products are beautifully modeled by the models in this post), I realized that Alkemya was indeed, a secret to discover.

The pictures below testify to the quality of Alkemya's product. However, I am writing this short article to introduce Alkemya and their products to the general public. Alkemya as its objective states, it uses pure Eritrean cotton, it is hand spun, and it is woven dyed on traditional loom.

I have over two hours of footage shot at Alkemya, which I'll use in an upcoming DVD on development. In the meantime, I have put the pictures as a slide at the bottom of this post.

The pictures are entirely reproduced with permission from Nadia Biasiolo. I'm very grateful for the permission. The original photos and graphics are by Lightscapes.

You can contact Alkemya :

e-mail : alkemya@gemel.com.er

Phone: Nadia Biasiolo- Asmara- tel (291-1-12-22-59)















5 comments:

  1. GOOOD BLOGG!! Its very opening and inspiring for not only me and other eritreans...but also other peoples in the world that this hidden ancient civilization keeps on surviving in the name of good despite all complots from outside!!!! Bless Eritrea and its beautifull people!! Bless Isayas Afwerki for his hard job defending eritrea from outside attacks!! And managing eritrea in this disorganized world!!!!!!!

    greetzz...

    from Amsterdam.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blog for a few times and was quite satisfied with what I found.Keep up the good work of exhibiting the hidden treasures of our country.I hope that through efforts like yours a wider public can become aware of the beauty of our country and its people without having to get a taste of any politics.It is really necessary to disseminate information about Eritrea in a nonpolitical context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best blog on Eritrea and Eritreans I have found so far. Very informative on subjects we hardly ever see covered. Please keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good to read Alkemya product in your blog thanks again .

    ReplyDelete