Saturday, April 5, 2014

A conversation with fashion designer: Admas Mahdere

  
 Admas Mahdere: Fashion designer
Photographer: David Goddard 

Issayas : Would you tell us about yourself?

Admas: “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”  ― Coco Chanel

Issayas: When did you move to the Cayman Islands?

Admas: I moved to Cayman in late 2009.  It’s probably the best decision I have ever made!

 Issayas: When and how did your interest in fashion/design start?

Admas: I have had a passion for designing from a young age and to my recollection the first custom dress I designed was for my middle school graduation when I was 14 years old….it was a bit out there.

Issayas: You are creating a modern cut from traditional design.  It is brilliant! Would you tell us more about it.

Admas: I really want to use beautiful traditional fabrics in new and interesting ways.  When I was growing up, my mom would bring me back fabric because she knew I wouldn’t want to wear the very traditional styles. For people within Eritrean & Ethiopian culture, I want them to look at the garments
and think “wow”, I have never seen it done like that before.

Issayas: That's what I said when I saw your designs.

Admas:  I also want them to want to wear my pieces to events outside of traditional gatherings.  For others, I want them to be intrigued by both the fabric and it’s origin, as well as, my designs.


                                           Photographer of the above pictures: Bernardo Neri

                                                       Photographer: Patrick Broderick

Issayas: What are your short and long term plans?

Admas: I would like to continue to expand the line and start selling online, as well as, in boutiques all over the world.  Now to get there, tons of work lies ahead. In the short term, I plan to continue working on production, new designs, and exploring the how of getting to where I want to be.

                                          Look out for this logo in the near future.

To follow fashion designer, Admas Mahdere, check out the following links:

www. admasm.com

on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/admasm1

on Instagram:
@admasm

on Twitter:
@admasm

Issayas: Admas, thank you for taking the time out from your busy schedule and answer my questions. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Admas: Thank you.